Eighth Grade Holocaust Unit

Through our research from the United States Holocaust Museum Website, Voices of the Holocaust and many other non-fiction books about the holocaust, students will attempt to answer the following questions: How did the Holocaust happen in the first place? How were the victims persecuted? What was the resistance to the Nazis during the holocaust? Why should we remember the holocaust? Who was responsible for the holocaust?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Superior, Montana, United States

I teach Language Arts to seventh and eighth graders

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Student Book Review


Number the Stars, by Lois Lowry

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The theme of Number the Stars is that being brave also includes fear. In the book it says:
“You risked your life.”
“But I wasn’t even thinking about that! I was only thinking of—
He interrupted her, smiling. “That’s all that brave means – not thinking about the dangers. Just thinking about what you must do. Of course you were frightened…”
Though Annemarie was scared throughout the events she went through trying to save her best friend, that doesn’t make her any less brave.

2:16 PM  
Blogger ortizni said...

I agree wit you that being brave has a lot to do with the book, but I think thatthis book has so much to do with friendship. Though out the whole thing she keep her friendship true she showed use that a true friendship can with hold any thing.

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also agree with you Nikki, the book was completely about friendship, but I don’t necessarily think that was the theme. I don’t think the theme of the book was as black and white as friendship. I agree with you that the book covered Annemarie and Ellen’s friendship entirely but I think the books meaning was a little deeper. Towards the end of the book it praises Annemarie’s courage and made an excellent point on how fear and bravery seem to collide, overall that’s what I believe the book to be based on.

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the both of you! Nikki just so you know the book can have more than one theme. None of you are wrong! I think the object of the book is to show us that not everybody turned the Jews down when they needed help because throughout the book they talk about how the girls family helped the jews escape to sweded and it also shows that they took in the daughter for because the were good friends and also because they were brave. Good job guys!

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home